As you may have already noticed by my absence, getting back on the treadmill has been painful. I simply have not done it, until today. You see, I almost gave up completely on this whole marathon thing. But, last week, shortly after my husband came home from the gym (the gym to which I have not been since mid-March!), he asked me "How was the gym?" Earlier in the day, I led him to believe that I was going to go. Frankly, I believed I was going to go. I didn't. My response to his question was a sheepish, "Um, I didn't go." He then said to me, "Listen, if you're not going to go, I'm not going to go." And, there it was. All I needed to know. He was serious when he said that I inspired him. Those weren't just words, which I should have known. You have to know my husband to know what I mean: he says what he means, and he follows through on EVERYTHING.
Ok, so it took me like a week or more to actually get back to the gym. I did it, though. After a nice 3 mile hike with my pooch, I got myself to the Y. And, it's weird because I actually missed it. It's fun to see familiar people and new people who are clearly getting themselves (back) into the fitness game. As I've said before, I don't care what size I am (and, I think I actually believe that) as long as I'm working out. It's this weird cycle though: I don't want to feel fat and sluggish, but I get lazy and I don't workout. Then, I feel worse, fatter and more sluggish, so I don't go again and on and on goes the cycle. So, even though, "they" say you should workout for yourself not for anyone else, I gotta say that my husband is the one who got me back today. Today I ran for him. His response to my "I didn't go" got me thinking...I so want him to be healthy and fit, and he wants the same for me (duh!). See, Honey? I really AM listening :) It just takes awhile.
Running wasn't pretty today, but I did it, and I felt accomplishment just in going. AND, I've noticed already that when I work out, I have more drive to eat well. Along with my laziness has come bad eating. I've decided to get back to work on myself and on my life. I felt SO great when I was working out consistently back in the winter. I have to find that spark again, and I think I'm pretty close.
1 comment:
I am glad you are back at it. I am the same - really into it and on track for a few months, then I get sick and lose all momentum. I love that yo husband said that - it would motivate me too.
Post a Comment