Sunday, December 17, 2006

Learning my lesson(s)

Yesterday was a HUGE challenge. I did not exceed my 24 points! YEAH for me!! Getting myself to bedtime, though, was rough. I gnawed on baby carrots for most of the afternoon which helped. I'm going to have to buy more and bigger bags next time I'm at the store. For dinner, I prepared lean pork chops and couscous for Shannon (my points did not allow for that), and I finished up my 1/2 salmon filet from Friday night out (I did, in fact, eat ONLY 1/2 of my meal on Friday), and I made us both a salad with various greens, green and red peppers and some low-fat homemade dressing. With that, I used up my last 3 points, and that was that. Thankfully, I was totally exhausted and fell asleep at 9pm.

As I continue to discover the points system, I learned that Jello (gelatin) is ZERO points as is fat free Cool Whip. YEAH! You have NO idea how much I love that fact. I have a sweet tooth somethin' awful, so the fact that I can indulge in jello with a bit of cool whip is so lovely.

Today I earned 2 points by walking the dog briskly (normally I just walk casually, and I've decided to change all of that in an attempt to earn some points!) for 45 minutes.

I survived yesterday. As I said in my previous post, I love that I can use up my 35 points and not feel guilty about it. Had I been doing a weight loss thing on my own, I would have felt SO guilty about Friday night's indulgences, and I probably would have fallen completely off the wagon. However, that is not the case. I just know now that, until Thursday, I can't really indulge and use those extra points. I have to stay within my range, and that is that. Surprisingly, for someone who LOVES to eat, I'm cool with that.

And, I don't want to make it sound like it's all fun and games. Yesterday, I was SO hungry at one point, and I just couldn't bear eating another carrot. I almost went back to bed in an effort to avoid the kitchen all together. But, I just found other stuff to do that kept me away from the kitchen. I didn't want to cheat (actually, cheating at this point is just not an option for me), so I just had to suck it up.

I have learned a good lesson, though, about spreading out my points--regular ones and extra ones. Yesterday was tough, so I need to plan more carefully. Live and learn. Live and learn.

3 comments:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

if this is the worst "bump" you have, you're doing well, sweetie. think bac to your research--being on WW is very much like adapting to a new culture. You'll have some awkward moments as you try to figure everything out, but once you do, you'll be automatic with this stuff. Good for you--we're behind ya all the way (and liking what we see--ROWR, ROWR. :)

Bob said...

I read about a natural fat replacement ingredient called Z Trim on page 90 of the book “You on a Diet” by Oprah’s doctor, Mehmet Oz. I ordered off of the Z Trim web site and have been cooking with it for a few weeks now. It works and its easy. It lowers calories by replacing portions of the oils, butter, and other fats. It also adds fiber to foods, because it basically is corn fiber made into a gel that works like fat in most cooking. They say it is undetectable, and that’s true. My cooking tastes like it always did. I’ve lost some weight, slowly. It’s a sensible approach and its natural. I eat what I want; it tastes as good as it always did, and I’m finally “right-sizing” my body. A total win-win.

Kat said...

Bob: Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.