Monday, June 26, 2006

Je suis là

For those of you who don't (or have forgotten how to) speak French, the title means "I'm here." I think I've used that a few times before, so I felt saying it another language might be more interesting. Or not.

So, my grand plans of using the fitness center didn't exactly happen. BUT, I can say that my mom and I definitely did our 10,000 steps a day, the amount suggested by various fitness people. I didn't exactly lose weight, but I didn't gain any, so I got that going for me.

The conference was very engaging, and my presentation went very well. After the conference, Mama and I took the train to Quebec City, and spent 3 1/2 days there. That city has got to be one of my new favorites. Not only is it rich in history and culture, people speak French. It's so comforting to know that my lovely 2nd language is but a 2-hour plane ride away. As a French teacher, I'm ashamed to admit that I had never been there. I can't wait to go back.

We returned on Saturday evening, and Sunday evening was a soccer game. I've decided that I need new soccer shoes. I realize that it's normal to have aches and pains after slogging one's over-30 a^& up and down a soccer field. However, today's aches and pains seem a bit off. I have been wearing these soccer shoes for just over 2 years now, and I think it need to get some better, more supportive ones. I think I've inherited my mother's bad feet, which means extra arch and heel support are in my future. Or they're here. Today. Yow. Anyhoo, we won our game, so we play on July 9 for our division championship. Think World Cup 2006. Just kidding. It's more like...what is it more like? Well, watching over-30 a&%es run up and down a pitch, as the Brits say. It's fun.

Despite the aches and pains and general creakiness this morning, I went to kickboxing. It was fantastic. I haven't sweat THAT much since indoor soccer (and that's mostly because the indoor complex is like a sweaty, stuffy locker room! Ick). I am proud to say that I accomplished several things during my class:

1) I did NOT fall down. Someone else did, but it was NOT me. Thank you, thank you.

2) I did NOT have to modify my moves. That is, I was able to use the step the entire time instead of getting off it to take a break.

3) I outlasted the 18 year old high school student next to me. She turned in her step with about 15 minutes to go. HA! Over-30? Yep! What's it to ya? Bring it, girlies!!

4) I maintained a 7-8 on the Perceived Exertion Index

5) I did NOT give up at all.

My hamstrings are searing (still), and my back is a bit sore, but I handled it well, and I enjoyed myself. I'm looking forward to the day when I know the routines well enough that I can really get into the music. I'm sure that if someone videotaped the class you would see my furrowed brow as I try to follow the instructor or the woman in front of me who clearly knows what she is doing.

Tomorrow I think I will walk or swim. My bod is feeling the pain. I want to do something tomorrow, but I think I need to take it easy on the joints. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Lisaopolis said...

Welcomc back to you too! Yes, love me some kay-beck-qwanggggh, even though I must admit I have never been to Quebec. I hear ya about the fitness stuff--I can really feeel not being in an exercise routine for a bit here--while I was active while in Europe, I ate hugely large portions of all kinds of yummy stuff so now that I have to get back to work (comps! teaching! oh my!) I need to get into the swing of things, and I don't just mean watching World Cup, haha.