It's 100 degrees here. And I need water. Constantly.
Lest you think I've forgotten to post, I have not. There's not been a lot of activity-- exercise-related or otherwise--lately. My summer has been very mellow, and I am loving it. I have been trying to get to the gym on a regular basis, but it's been VERY VERY hard. very. hard. I have been too hard on myself lately for not getting to the gym. I find that I am saying some really negative stuff to myself, and that just prevents me from getting my toosh moving. Focusing on the positive has been hard. I'm really really struggling. As some of you know, my other half (of this blog), Stef, has been on the move from Pennsylvania to the lovely state of Utah. Sooooo, I have had to dig deep within myself in the past few months to get myself moving. Some days are good, some are not-so-good. I'm still learning from Cleo the dog. It's a slow process, apparently.
Cardio kickboxing kicked my butt today. Not only was my super buff instructor on speed today, but it's about 100 degrees here today in the ole Midwest. Though I totally and completely exist in air conditioning (hey, I may love France and all its good food and wine, but I ADORE my A/C!!), the heat this morning really got to me. I went to my mom's to water her flowers, andl, as the sun blazed down on me I thought, "I am not sure I can finish doing this watering thing." I can't remember a time that I was that hot--even in the summer of 2003 while living in France during a now-infamous heat wave which killed like 7,000 people died. Ok, I don't know if it was 7,000 but it was a lot. Anyhoo, I moved on from the flowers to kickboxing, and I knew shortly after arrival that it was going to be a rough go. I finished, and I was not alone in feeling icky. My fellow kickboxers felt icky, too. And, our instructor gave us 2 extra water breaks, which was like heaven. I wanted to pour my entire 1- liter bottle over my head, but I decided that might make for an accident while doing sidekicks and backkicks.
I found motivation to keep going when I looked at the woman in front of me, who is apparently (I overheard her conversation before class) 16 weeks pregnant, I thought, "C'mon, Kat. Shake that butt." And I did. Oh, and my 68-year old friend was there. She had just spent a 30 minutes on the treadmill and 30 minutes walking the track. I swear...she's sent to that class by God as a reminder to keep on moving.
2 comments:
It has been way too hot to do anything, especially work out. I can barely stand to walk from the parking lot to my office!!
I want to meet this 68-year-old woman you keep talking about. I would like to think that I can become her in 23 years. Maybe if I really turn up the juice now, I'll still be kickin' at 68!! Please tell her that, through your blog, she inspires me.
I will tell her. She's such an amazing woman. And, she's not ashamed of her weight, her soaked-through shirts (with this weather, though, who doesn't have one of those??), her not-so-high front kicks. It's amazing. I will pass along your wishes :) OH, and I just learned that her name is Birdie. Too cute.
Post a Comment