Ok, so how many of you out there have taken a Pilates class, or have done one of the videos at home? I have seen people do Pilates; I have never actually done it myself. To illustrate my surprise at how darn intense the moves are, I have the following story which happened on Saturday morning: I entered the lovely Pilates room at my local Y. It's very zen with dim lights, comfy Pilates mats, and some wonderfully calm new age-y music. It reminded me of my first spa experience just before I got married (My mom and I had a little 'girls spa week' a month before I was married in October 2004). I felt calm, relaxed, without a care in the world. It was lovely. Unlike the spa experience, which remained calm and relaxed for five days, the Pilates class began and, within two minutes, I was dripping sweat. And I don't mind dainty, delicate little beads glistening down my forehead. I mean, full-on, did-you-jump-in-the-pool?, do-you-need-a-really-absorbent-towel? kind of sweat. As I began wiping the sweat away, I glanced at the clock. 8:10 A.M. There were FIFTY-FIVE minutes left! It was truly one of the first times, outside a soccer game, where I thought, "Can I make it?"
All that to say, if anyone out there was like me and had *seen* Pilates being done and thought, "Huh. Looks easy enough." you are so wrong!
Anyway, I ended up really enjoying the class, and I recognized the instructor because she had subbed for E., my BodyFlow instructor, back in February. I remember liking the way she talked us all through the BodyFlow moves, and she does this in Pilates class as well. There are 5 other women taking the class, and they all look to be more familiar with the moves than I am. So, after the class, I told M., my instructor, that I had never done Pilates before. I told her that if I looked totally confused at any point, I probably was, but that I'd work it out. She was very sweet and said to ask questions whenever needed. I am really looking forward to getting the moves down so that I can really focus. I will most likely keep up with this class when the school year starts. I can now understand why the people I have seen doing Pilates are mostly really fit and lean (not necessarily thin, but really really fit and lean).
So, stay tuned for more adventures in training.
2 comments:
I totally want to take a Pilates class. Looking forward to reading more about your experiences!
I have never taken a pilates class, but I have always wanted to. I have heard that it is hard work - guess that is true. Nice work trying something new.
Post a Comment