Thursday, March 22, 2007

Updates

Tuesday: I've been having issues running for 20 minutes in a row on Tuesdays. Yes, every Tuesday. This past Tuesday was no different. I was able to run for 13 minutes in a row; then, I had to walk for about 10 minutes. After the 10 minute walk, I ran again--painfully--for another 2 minutes. I have been feeling very very frustrated, but I haven't given up. I've just had to figure out ways to make Tuesdays more bearable (sp?). So, my solution to this "Tuesday" issue lies in my workout yesterday (Wednesday):

Wednesday: Normally, I don't go to the gym on Wednesdays because I teach, and I take my early-morning 2 mile walk with Miss Cleo. However, yesterday, I decided to go since I'm on vacation. Fearing more frustration with running (see Tuesday), I told myself that I would run 5 minute intervals with 2 minutes walking in between. That plan worked brilliantly. Because I knew that I was running in shorter spurts, I kicked up the MPH to 5.5 and 5.6 instead of the usual 5.2 or 5.3. Now, I'm definitely not running to win anything. I'm there to prove that I can do it. If I'm the slowest person on the route, that's totally cool. However, it was kind of fun yesterday to punch it (for me) a little bit. I was able to do all the intervals with the 2 minute walks, and it was really good. I think that I will try this approach for my Tuesday runs. I will do longer runs on Sundays; Tuesdays will be intervals, and Thursdays will be the longer run. We'll see how that plan works.

If there are other ideas out there, please let me know. I'm all ears (or 'eyes,' in this case!).

I'm off for now. Weight Watchers meeting is later. Even if I don't lose pounds this week, I can totally tell that I've lost inches. My size 12 jeans which used to be super tight are now big. As in I can almost pull them off without unbuttoning or unzipping them. So, that's good news. I have a pair of size 10s that I'm going to give a try today :) Yeah.

More soon...

1 comment:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Me personally, I save long runs for the day before a rest day, so Sunday sounds good. And for weight loss, I think interval training is sometimes superior to sustained running at the same pace, so you're good to go!