Thursday, February 09, 2006

Booooo--yahhhhhh

Say it with me...booooo-yaaaahhhh!

Yesterday was another milestone for me: I ran for 4.0 minute intervals. And, not just 4.0 minute intervals, but 4.0 at a pace of 5.9 MPH! As with the jump from 2.5 minutes to 3.0 minutes, I decided, during the first interval, to see how I felt at 3.0 minute mark. I felt great, so I said, "Self, give 3.5 a try." And, at the end of 3.5, I felt fine. So, I gave myself to 4.0., and then I walked for 1.5 minutes and started the cycle again...for ALL 30 MINUTES! I can't say that the last cycle wasn't torture, or close to it. My legs were heavy, very heavy, but I must say, my heart and my breathing were OK. I've noticed that, as I run each cycle, my form starts to slip, and I end up using energy I should not be using (for example, sometimes I tense my arms up as I swing them. My husband has told me that I shouldn't do that as it takes more energy to keep them tense than to just let them swing loosely.). Yesterday, I caught myself at 2 different points tensing up my arms, and I had to remind myself to let go a bit. As soon as I did that, I was back on track, no pun intended. I also noticed that if, as I got tired, I started to say the word, "Pace" with each footstep, I would get into a rhythm. That rhythm helped me stay focused and feel less fatigued.

I'm sure there are notes about these things in my marathon training books, but I have forgotten them. I'm learning them on my own, and I'm loving the process.

To top it all off, I noticed that I was running as fast as one of the petite little chickies that "looks like a well trained runner." In many areas of my life, I'm very competitive. In this particular domain (marathon training), I am not. I understand that if I try to keep up with Miss Jones, I may end up hurting myself. Yesterday, though, I was on the treadmill first, and I had already set my pace when she arrived. I felt kinda cool that she was running like me.

Today, I was up early again and out the door at 5:30am for my yoga/pilates class. I still love it, and I find it to be a really nice break from running. I still sweat my toosh off, but it gives my muscles and my joints a breather, which is always good.

4 comments:

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

You disgust me with your chipperness and your stamina. Ok, not really, that's the jealousy talkin'. YOU GO GIRL--you're gonna be running that 1/2 marathon before I even huff my way through 30 minutes of straight running. Boo-yah indeed.

Kat said...

Well, I don't have a one-year old to chase around :) I only have a two year old dissertation, which I can put to sleep whenever I want! Hang in there, Stef. And, I'm constantly amazed at how I don't despise running anymore. I just can't say that enough (or maybe I can, and people are sick of reading that :) ).

Heather said...

Nice work on the 4.0. I have a trick for staying relaxed: drop your jaw. I read this somewhere a long time ago, and it has worked for me. Supposedly it is very hard to tense other muscles while running when your face and jaw are relaxed. Might work for you too.

Kat said...

Heather: Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot!