Friday, March 03, 2006

Slipping?

I've been dutifully going to the gym and doing my thing. I have noticed, however, that I've not been as consistent in terms of the times at which I go. Up until a week ago, I was going every morning, early. My husband has been known to call me 'the rooster's wake up call,' and he's right. I enjoy the morning. Lately, in the wake of handing in the dissertation revisions, I have been feeling really sapped. Yesterday I was up early for my yoga/pilates class, and I had every intention of running after that since I didn't go to the gym on Wednesday (slipping? I think so..). I got on the treadmill and couldn't budge. I just couldn't do it. So I came home, but I felt guilty and wimpy for not at least walking a bit. I just totally abandoned the plan; I didn't even modify it. I must have been exhuasted because 1) That's not my style to jump ship; 2) I took a four hour nap in the afternoon! Even though *they* say you can't make up sleep (or catch up on it), I think I did. I feel brilliant--as the Brits say--today. Unlike Stef, I don't have a one year old running around, saying 'here you go.' I can nap.

All that doesn't really make up for the fact that I need some more encouragement. As I said to Stef in the comment to her previous post, I need a punch in the shoulder. My lovely husband gives 'em to me all the time (hey're metaphorical punches :) ). He's SO encouraging. I could not ask for more from him. My lazy side is creeping forth, though.

I'm so psyched about running 5 1/2 minutes at a time. I'm THRILLED. That said, I sometimes just want to crawl back into bed. Even now. And it's 1:22PM. HELP.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I can relate to the slipping. Seems like there are some weeks when running feels great and it is easy to motivate, but then other weeks just the idea of running is tiring.

Sometimes I buy some new running clothes to jump start myself. Are you a coffee drinker? They say that drinking some coffee before running can increase your energy (at least I think I read that somewhere). Or if you are really burned out, maybe decide to take a couple of days off guilt-free, and then when you go back you might be in the zone again.

Don't forget to give yourself credit for how much you have already done. And keep running because I am enjoying reading about your progress (this is about me, right?).

Kat said...

Thanks, Heather. I appreciate your comment and your advice. I particularly enjoy the idea of buying new running clothes :) Great idea! Glad you're enjoying the read. Thanks again!