Friday, January 13, 2006

Mirror mirror on the wall...

Yesterday's yoga/pilates class was great. I'm feeling muscles that I never knew I had! It's such a great workout and easy on the joints.

Today's running schedule was 30 minutes total on the treadmill, alternating 1.5 minutes running and 1.5 minutes walking. After my 5 minute warm up, I began my 1.5 minute run at 5.9 mph, which is .1 mph higher than normal. And, I was able to keep it there during all of the 1.5 minute runs. I made sure to drink LOTS of water this morning. In fact, I didn't go to the gym until about 9:30am (semester break is so lovely!) in order to drink my H20. Once the semester starts up again, I'll have to get up a few minutes earlier in order to have my proper amount of H20. For now, I'll enjoy lolling about!

As a (former?) running hater, I am surprised to hear myself say that I am actually really enjoying the runs. I think it's more that I'm enjoying the progress, because I can feel it every day. Wednesday, as we know, was awful. Thanks to MG's comment, I've come to understand that that will happen from time to time (kinda like life, eh?). Today was a whole lot better. I tested myself by putting the MPH at 5.9, understanding, of course, that I may not be able to sustain it at every running interval. But, I did. And, for that, I'm proud.

I've also gotten over how my chubby thighs look when I'm running. I can't seem to escape the treadmills RIGHT in front of the big wall-size mirrors. I can honestly say that I really don't care anymore about my chubby thighs. I used to care. In fact, when I began putting on some weight (about 8 pounds; it's certainly not the death of me, though I act like it is :) ) back in July/August because of inactivity due to finishing my PhD--I like to blame it on the dissertation even though I made the choice to be inactive :) ), I kept telling myself, "Now you're too chubby to go to the gym. You look awful." How weird (yet normal for gals, I think) is that? I heard a woman on the Biggest Loser the other night (it's the "New Edition") say that she felt so insecure when working out because she felt that she looked so fat. She said that when she did go to the gym, she felt that people were staring at her, probably saying to themselves "why is SHE here?" That woman really got to me because I realized that 1) I'm probably not the only one that feels like I look chubby; 2) When I see people at the gym who, like myself, have been out a while, I think to myself, "That's so great that s/he is here. Ya gotta start somewhere." So, I've kept that in my head. And, today I really felt the difference. The negative thoughts were a lot less frequent, and I got on with the task at hand.

And, I just learned that there is a marathon every April in Paris, France, my former home! Uh, hi! Motivation? Is that you? Yes, it is! April (2007) in Paris, just like the song. Though I learned during my years in Paris that "April in Paris" does not mean romance and lingering walks along the Seine. It means finding a raincoat, rain hat, umbrella and some good shoes to dodge the rain bullets as they descend from the sky. I digress. April. Paris. Marathon. 2007. How you doin'?

4 comments:

Lisaopolis said...

holla on the comment about chubby thighs, oy vey, any tips on just getting OVER them?

Kat said...

Well, I just keep telling myself that they're (the thighs) are not a big deal, and will only get bigger if I don't keep exercising. That seems to work for me :) That and just knowing that I'm doing what I can. It's a constant dialogue, though. I'm hoping that if I keep repeating, "You're fine. Just keep on moving!" I'll eventually have that as my main mantra (as opposed to "Holy God...where did THOSE things come from?" :)

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

Anne Lamott has a GREAT essay about her thighs I'll have to find and send to you. She talks about them being liker elderly aunties you have to treat with great care and respect. She even talks about being at the beach when these anorexic-looking girls are glaring at her and sizing her up. She said it was like a brain-flash--she realized they hated their bodies as much as she hated hers, and she thought they were skinny!

She said she just decided nothing was going to force her to treat the aunties' feelings. I've done this with my tummy--I call it my "puppy" (also taken from Anne Lamott) because it just lies there all soft and sweet and sleepy all the time. You can't be mean to or resentful of a PUPPY, for pete's sake!

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

I meant HURT the aunties' feelings. Sorry. Cake overload.