In October 2008, I made it to my FIRST (not last!) marathon. After the arrival of our baby boy in May 2009, I'm back to running, this time with my boy who loves to say, "Mommy run!" I'm a couch potato at heart, now a runner with turtle-like speed . "Better slow than not at all" is my mantra. Oh, and, "Who moved the finish line?"
Thursday, January 05, 2006
Shake it, stretch it
To shake up my workout routine, which, when I was going on a regular basis, consisted of me alone at the gym lifting weights and using the treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike, I decided to sign up for a class. Having done this only ONCE in my life, I was a little nervous. The other class I signed up for 2 years ago (and promptly quit) was a step aerobics class. Let's just say I don't have the gift of the rhythm or of the dance, so I was a miserable little pumpkin. The class I am taking now (and have NO intention to quit! YEAH!) is called "Bodyflow," which is a mix of tai chi, yoga, pilates and basic stretching. It's an hour long on Thursday and Saturday mornings, and this morning was my first class. I LOVE IT! The instructor is very calm and cool, and my "classmates" are totally normal people (that is, all ages and sizes) who mess up the moves occasionally, just like I do. I feel like I've found my people! After the class, I told my instructor that I really enjoyed myself. She said that she had a number of marathoners who took her class because they felt they recovered quicker and that the class provided a good balance to the running. I didn't let it slip that I'm training for a marathon, but I was encouraged that more experienced marathoners (i.e., people that have actually DONE a marathon) find this class to be useful. I definitely did. I have moved and stretched parts of my body that I never knew were there. I'm encouraged by my workout routine. The only bummer is waking up at 5:15am! That was not fun! If I can do this, anyone can!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment