Whether he knew it or not, my husband challenged my 'stick-to-it-ivness' last week. We leave EARLY for the gym on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last Tuesday, after having a very hectic Monday, I just couldn't get myself up to go. I turned off the alarm and rolled over. Because I'm the one that's been all about US (not just me) getting back to the gym, I felt guilty that I had sabotaged my own daily workout as well as S's. After all, I created our team motto which is "Team (Our Last Name). Hot in 2007!". As my husband was getting ready for work, here is the approximate conversation we had:
S: "Well, it was good while it lasted."
Me: "What?"
S: "Well, it was good while it lasted. How many days does it take to get into a habit?"
Me: "Twenty-five" (once told to me by my high school geometry teacher, making a point about doing homework)
S: "So, we went, what, 8 times?"
Me: "It's not OVER. (insert indignant tone). I mean, I just needed some extra rest. It's not over just because we didn't go ONE time this week. Geez."
S: "Um. Ok."
The conversation continued, I think, but I was so upset that I have forgotten the rest. Point being, it was a not-so-veiled challenge and, since S. knows how to push my buttons, when Thursday arrived, I was up at 5:15am with the dog, back in by 5:45am, woke S. up at 6am, and we were out the door by 6:15, our goal. That day, I ran. I ran a lot for me, and I loved every minute of it. In fact, the challenge was so driving that I went to the gym on Sunday and ran. A lot. And enjoyed it. And we went this morning, too. I was up at the usual time, out with the dog, back in by 5:45, and waking up S. at 6am. I ran this morning, more than I have in recent months. It was not always easy, but I did it, and I enjoyed it. It's amazing how running with 11 fewer pounds is a fair bit easier. I know, I know. You're thinking, "Duh." Knowing it logically and feeling it physically are two very different animals.
Today's running looked a bit like this:
0min-2 min.: walk at 4.0
2-5 min: run at 5.4
5-7 min: walk at 4.2
7-10 min: run at 5.4
10-12 min: walk at 4.2
12-15 min: run at 5.3
15-18 min: walk at 4.2
18-20 min: run at 5.3
20-22 min: walk at 4.2
22-25 min: run at 5.4
25-27 min: walk at 4.2
27-30 min: run at 5.3
2 comments:
DAMN WOMAN!!! You go!! I now absolutely have to join a gym. I am actually starting to MISS running. I even took a walk in the cold last night because I wanted to run but haven't made up my mind about a gym yet.
Hi, great post. It's hard even for us veterans to stay motivated sometimes, and you are doing great. If you want to read a really great inspirational story about running, try The Greatest Marathoner
Good luck in your training.
Post a Comment